Huntsville Area Amateur Radio Exams!
Welcome to the CAVEC Huntsville Alabama Area Amateur Radio License Exams!
The in-person exam session starts at 9:00AM Central.
The Huntsville CAVEC Exam Team strives to make your exam stress free and efficient, in a friendly, positive environment.
Preregistration IS NOT required...but dropping us an email to let us know you're coming is certainly appreciated.
What you need to bring to the exam session:
- Government-issued picture ID.
- Any current CSCEs that have not yet shown up in the FCC database.
- Test fee, CASH ONLY, exact amount (if possible): $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for students (a current student ID may be requested.) One fee will cover all tests taken at a particular session...no extra charge for extra tests (or retests)!
- A FCC Registration Number (FRN) How to get a FRN Number
- While not required it is highly encouraged to fill out the NVEC Form 605( License Application) Linked online , print and bring with you to the session.Otherwise we will provide the form for you to fill out at the exam session.
Calculators: Non-programmable calculators are allowed. Programmable calculators are NOT ALLOWED unless their memories can be cleared or reset at the exam session site by the testing crew prior to the start of the exam. The decision as to whether a calculator will be allowed to be used rests with the Chief Volunteer Examiner/Session Manager and that decision is final. Cell phone/tablet Calculator Apps will not be used.
Notice: The FCC charges a $35 fee for new applications, renewals and vanity call sign requests as of April 19th. The fees should be paid directly to the FCC within ten days of your application being submitted by the CAVEC. Failure to do so will result in your application being dismissed. CAVEC will have to resubmit your application License. Upgrade applications are not charged the $35 processing fee by the FCC.
Cell Phones, Tablets and other Personal Electronic Devices: These devices will be placed on "silent" or turned off and removed from the examinee's position prior to the start of the exam.
Special Needs Accommodation: If you cannot take the exam in its standard written form, or at our regular location, we will do our absolute best to provide an alternative testing situation. However, please be advised that we probably will NOT be able to accommodate you on a walk-in basis at one of our regular test sessions. Please contact us ahead of the exam session you plan to attend and we will work out a plan to offer you an exam session that takes your needs into account.
We look forward to serving you and being a positive part of your amateur radio experience. Please feel to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.